Slow Internet Browsing

6huckle5 21:32 31 Mar 07

All of a sudden, last week, my internet browsing fell to snails pace. I have a home network with to desktops and 2 laptops. Other desktop and both laptops are working great on the internet and pages come up instantaneously.
I have run:
a. virus scan with McAfee - no issues.
b. AOL Spyware - no issues
c. Downloaded AVG - no issues

Anyone HELP? I'm coming to the end of my tether!!

6huckle5

pac73 21:35 31 Mar 07

Have you tried Ccleaner.It removes all your temp files and others.Its also a registry cleaner.You can get it from Filehippo.com.

p;3 21:41 31 Mar 07

at present how many av programs do you have installed?

and try running

click here

click here

click here

click here see what any of those produce

all of them are free

6huckle5 22:21 31 Mar 07

Hi pac73, downloaded Ccleaner. Sure clean my pc but internet browsing is still painfully slow. Windows explorer etc is fine it is just when I browes the net. Incidentially, I can access click here okay and navigate through their pages okay. But I have not found any other site were I can get fast response. N.B. bbc.co.uk is not in my cache.
6huckle5

pac73 22:23 31 Mar 07

Have you tried any of p;3,s suggestions.

6huckle5 21:31 01 Apr 07

Many thanks for your suggestions. However, having downloaded the advised tools and run against my p.c. I still have the initial problem.

Any other ideas or is this a new bug ?

6huckle5

Woolwell 21:46 01 Apr 07

Which version of McAfee?

Try turning off the anti-phishing and spamkiller of McAfee. I have had several Pc's which have experienced slow browsing with McAfee.

Not a good idea to run Mcafee and AVG. You should only run one anti-virus product.

woodchip 21:50 01 Apr 07

Have you tried Restore back to earlier date

polish 21:56 01 Apr 07

have you tried rebooting the modem sometimes this helps

p;3 15:11 02 Apr 07

this reads to me as though you do have two antivirus programs installed on there ; this is NOT a good idea and you should only have the ONE; can you please confirm how many you have;? you do know that both AVG and Mcaffey are BOTH antivirus porgrams ?

if you have more than ONE av program you WILL be guaranteed to have problems before you even start!!

can we get that bit right first?

6huckle5 22:10 03 Apr 07

Took Woodwell's advise and turned off McAfee's Phishing Protection.

I disabled parts of the McAfee tools by a process of elimination and as suggested by Woodwell the Phishing Protection was causing all the problems.

The latest update from McAfee was 22/03/07 which was roughly when the problems started. Details are
Ver: 8.2
Build: 8.2.118

Thanks again for all the support and hopefully anyone else with this problem will get a fix with out the brow beating I had to go through.

I will drop a mail to McAfee just to let them know.

Cheers all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now