slow ie loading

helmetshine 08:08 07 Jul 03

A friend of mine has a prob i'm trying to find an answer for,when he opens IE it takes 3/4 minutes to get to the connect screen,which it never used to do.He has had it back to PC world,where the prob didn't occur.Another mate took it away and tried it at work...again no problem,was then ok for a day,now back to the 3/4 minutes again.He says he does seem to get a lot of disc noise while it's opening if thats any help.Almost forgot...he's running XP home.If i don't reply to your reply..not being rude...at work until tonight

graham√ 09:21 07 Jul 03

Something is running in the background which is causing the CPU to 'look the other way'! If this happens on start up, leave it for a while before trying IE.

If not at start up, press 'ctrl alt delete', this will reveal what is running.

graham√ 09:23 07 Jul 03

PS, it could also be a trojan or virus.

Jester2K II 09:34 07 Jul 03

Or he might have some BHOs installed. The Browser Helper Objects are designed to enhance the IE experience but are often poorly written and can cause all sorts of crashes and lock ups.

Run Adaware click here & Spybot click here on the PC then if you have your tech head on try HijackThis click here.

SEASHANTY 12:22 07 Jul 03

Internet Explorer 6 isn't the only web browser on the market. Try installing another browser on the PC. Install Opera or Mozilla from one of the PC magazine free discs or download it free from this site (click on Downloads). He may have better luck using another browser but do not uninstall I.E. some websites use the I.E. software for use with their web pages.

helmetshine 19:56 07 Jul 03

Thanks for your replies everyone...i did suggest adaware and spybot....didn't know about the BHO's tho.I've printed your replies off and will give them to him in the morning.Any feed back i get i'll post here so you know whether its been sorted or not.And thanks again for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…