Slow dvd and cd playback

Marty1 08:42 30 Nov 05

My Compaq Presario running XP SP2 has suddenly started playing dvds slowly, both in Win Media Player and Intervideo Win DVD. Cds play slowly too. Should I believe the drive has failed or is there another reason?

Diodorus Siculus 09:24 30 Nov 05

Go into the device manager and remove it; reboot and windows will reinstall its drivers automatically.

Marty1 10:00 30 Nov 05

I tried that Dio but the problem is still there

Diodorus Siculus 10:13 30 Nov 05

Could be software related then. Can you try disabling anything unnecessary via the start tab in msconfig?

start

run

msconfig

Marty1 11:19 30 Nov 05

Ok, I have tried those but there is no change.

alnwrd 15:30 30 Nov 05

It sounds to me like a hardware problem. I have never come across any circumstances where sofware would cause this sort of problem.

BigMoFoT 15:33 30 Nov 05

and I bet your drive is running in PIO mode which means a problem with the chipset software. What chipset do you have? Intel, VIA or Nvidia?

Diodorus Siculus 16:32 30 Nov 05

alnwrd - one software cause is conflicting audio codecs which can affect both CD and DVD playback - that at least was documented in PCPro recently.

Marty1 10:03 01 Dec 05

Sory I don't know what chipset I have and don't know how to find out.

Newuser4165 11:29 01 Dec 05

As BigMoFot says it's probably in PIO mode but this doesn't necessarily meadn that the chipset is faulty.
You may be seeing the WinXP DMA bug.More than 6 read/write errors on a drive and XP switches the drive into PIO mode which stuffs DVD/cd playback.
You can fix it quite easily as follows:-
In device manager select the IDE controller running the drive.Right click it and select Uninstall.
Reboot the pc and all shpuld be well.

Marty1 16:48 01 Dec 05

Thank you all, yes the secondary ide was in PIO mode and is now back to dma and everything is fine. Let's hope it stays like that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…