Slow downloads over wifi during the day

fredotf2 15:53 07 Dec 13

So I am paying for a 120mb broadband connection but I actually get around 150 when I do a speed test on my computer connected directly to my wireless router. I have the broadband modem which came with the my broadband package in bridge mode as the wifi signal was terrible.

So I went out and bought a Netgear WNDR3700 Dual Band Cable Router thinking the signal would be better. The problem is now that while running a speedtest over wifi I may only get a max of 30mbps and then when I actually download something the download speed is no more than 200kb/s. I have a 150mb connection but I can't watch a youtube video in hd over wifi. If I test the speed on my computer at the same time it is still 150mb. The wierd thing is that at night time (23:00 - early morning) the download speed over wifi increases dramatically and I can watch youtube videos in HD perfectly, this means that the wifi is capable of doing much more than it does during the day! I am truly lost and have no idea what to do. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Secret-Squirrel 11:02 08 Dec 13

"I am truly lost and have no idea what to do."

It's quite likely that your poor performance issues are being caused by nearby wireless interference. That interference could perhaps come from a neighbour's wireless router that's using the same wireless channel number as your Netgear. If they turn their router off at night then that may account for your symptoms.

"........ bought a Netgear WNDR3700 Dual Band Cable Router thinking the signal would be better."

If your wireless devices support 5GHz then the easiest thing to do is to set them to connect using that rather than the crowded 2.4GHz band which is prone to interference.

Alternativley, log into your Netgear and change its wireless channel number. Experiment with channels 1, 6, and 11. Don't forget to save the settings each time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…