Slow Download Speeds with NetGear DG834G Router.

Lord Charles 17:30 14 Nov 07

I switched to the AOL Laptop/Wireless Router package.
It worked well for about three weeks and then the download speed declined to about 300Kbps. Previously 4300 to 6000 Kbps. Upload has stayed around 400Kbps.
AOL second level support says my line is fine at 8000Kbps! "Call NETGEAR"
NETGEAR support says their kit (DG834Gv3) is fine. "Call AOL"
I'm confused.
Both my systems on the Network work just fine, for everything except Download speeds.
One is a Dell laptop, Vista & connected by wireless adapter. The other is a Dell desktop, XP Home & connected by Ethernet cable.
Common problem and the only features in common are the NetGear wireless router and AOL.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Kemistri 22:59 15 Nov 07

I think that's gotta be something to do with the line, the exchange (eg, contention?) or the ISP (throttling?). I have never heard of a router or modem that runs slowly except in rare cases of screwed up firmware upgrades. Usually, they connect and run OK, or not at all. Sounds very much like AOL passing the buck around. Call BT and request a line check.

Dipso 00:31 17 Nov 07

I would back up the suggestion of throttling. To test this theory follow this click here which will test your speed directly with BT's servers.

Dipso 00:31 17 Nov 07

I would back up the suggestion of throttling. To test this theory follow this click here which will test your speed directly with BT's servers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…