Slow download speeds on Gateway laptop

Deano47 19:03 09 Dec 07

I have also posted this question on the helproom forum by mistake, but think i should have done it on here.
Hi, I have a new Gateway MX8716b laptop which I am having problems with slow downloads between it and my Netgear wireless router. My desktop pc which is also linked by USB wireless adapter to the router is working fine, which it should be as it is only a couple of feet from the router. Even when my laptop is within inches of the router, the signal strength is only showing 3 out of 5 on the connection symbol in the notification area. It also doesnt alter the signal strength when my laptop is downstairs away from the router, it is still showing 3 bars on the meter. My problem is excrutiatingly slow speeds for the internet to load...it's like being back on dial-up again. I am currently with AOL on the Silver broadband package. I did originally have problems connecting to my wireless network, which was eventually traced to interference from my Wireless AV Sender. During a chat with an online tech person from Gateway, he asked me to go into the wireless adapter advanced settings. It was showing AdHoc channel 802.11a value 36 on there, and he asked me to change it to The wireless mode and choose a setting called 802.11 b/g. I did this but each time iclicked OK after changing it, it returned to the default Adhoc 802.11a setting. Could this be anything to do with my problem as my network is 802.11g standard as far as I can tell. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Deano

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now