Slow download speed problem

Baz48 18:22 16 Nov 10

I have a Netgear DG834GT modem router connected to an ADSL v1.0 master socket via 2 metres of cable. My PC is connected via cable. I have a 2Mb connection with BT Broadband.

Various speed tests including BT's say I have a download speed of 1600 kbps but I have never seen more than 200 kbps. This is with updates etc. from such as Microsoft, Adobe and various drivers. From a file sharing site it can be as low as 5kbps. It has just taken me 7 hours to download a game I purchased via something called "Steam".

The same applies downloading to a laptop connected via 1 metre of cable to the router. Considering the speed test results, can anyone suggest what the problem could be?

Thanks.

mnopq 11:14 17 Nov 10

First try a simple modem and then connect direct to the BT. test socket (remove the front plate and plug the filter directly into the socket exposed). If your speed approaches your 2Mb OK, the problem is at your end, if not try speedtester.bt.com - this will come up with statistics about your connection, i.e. IP profile, max. achievable speed, DSL connection rate and acceptable range of speeds. Armed with this information you can approach BT. If you are more than a mile from your exchange expect a slow speed.

Baz48 22:54 18 Nov 10

mnopq,

My post tells that I have done everything you suggest already. I don't use filters as I have a adsl v1.0 master socket.

Ashrich 23:35 17 Dec 10

A 2 mb/s connection in theory should get you about 240kb/s download speed , the 1600 you mention is probably your actual connection speed (1.6 mb/s ) so 200 kb/s is Ok .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…