slow dl's and intermittent outages loading webpage

Ecrevisse 14:39 03 Dec 10

On my Dec 2007 Dell Inspiron 530 PC I have been having slow download speeds and on-and-off outages lasting 10 - 20 minutes. I have a Netgear router and wireless card.

My ISP tested the line, without finding a problem.

I borrowed my neighbour's laptop and ran it alongside the Dell with no problems, downloading at up to 9Mbps while I only got a max. 3Mbps and often less than 1 ... ugh! The laptop also played a BBC iPlayer HD prog. without a break or pause then downloaded it at 9Mbps. My ISP says the maximum I can expect is 11Mbps.

Next I removed Norton Anti-Virus, no difference.

The I swopped out the wirelass card for another Netgear from an older PC. No difference.

Then I returned the card that came with the Dell, but in a different PCI slot. No diffference.

I should say that a couple of weeks ago my W Vista opsys became corrupted and was re-installed, no hardware faults were detected at the shop. No difference.

So, what is causing the slow download speeds and the outages?

Is it some evil software hiding in the Dell, or a hardware failure developing, if so, how do I find it?

Thank you for any answers!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:14 03 Dec 10

Sounds like vista needs optimising

click here

click here

click here

Ecrevisse 20:20 03 Dec 10

Since I had good speeds before this began, and made no changes to the Vista system, I believe that this is not a solution, unless you know better?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…