slow dial-up access to internet - ntl problem?

notrom 11:21 16 Jan 05

Last year I tried ntl's free broadband trial but did not take up a pay subscription because of their appalling (ie non existent) customer care.

Since then I swear my dial-up access to the internet has been much slower, today (Sunday morning) being spectacularly bad - taking 3-4 minutes to open up articles in both the Sunday Times and Observer websites.

I have Windows ME, have defragged with Diskeeper Lite and have scanned with up-to-date Ad-aware.

One thing that occurs to me is that when I was with ntl Internet Explorer took a long time to open, with a message reading 'Detecting Proxy Settings' appearing. Despite having disconnected the ntl broadband box I still get the same message and the same delay in IE opening. Could it be that installation of ntl has left something on my machine that's slowing things down? Would it be paranoid to wonder if ntl deliberately leaves something on a computer so that people who don't pay and subscribe after the free trial are eventually forced to change their minds out of sheer frustration at the extreme sluggishness of internet access? I remember that the ntl website mentions something about once having tried broadband you'll never want to use a slow dial-up connection again.

Markdym 11:27 16 Jan 05

Hi

I doubt that NTL have left anything behind, so to speak. But, I.E.'s settings may need to be adjusted for your (presumably) new connection. Contact your ISP and ask them for advice. This is the quickest way to sort this out.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:39 16 Jan 05

Speed up your dial up modem

click here

click here

click here

notrom 13:26 16 Jan 05

Thanks for suggestion Markdym, will have to wait till Monday to check, though I altered settings on ISP's instructions after I left ntl, so suspect that's not the problem. Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\, am in process of trying one of downloads. Will come back with results.

notrom 08:13 19 Jan 05

Sorry for delay replying. There's no problem with my ISP settings though my provider thinks there may be software that was installed for the ntl modem that remains and may be causing problems. Unfortunately, if this is the case, it's not obviously identifiable, so will have to get back to ntl. Should have an answer in the new year (2006 that is).

Fruitbat, tried the software that's supposed to improve internet access but can't in all honesty see any improvement. Thanks all the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…