Slow Dial up.

Tazfan 19:21 28 Mar 03

Running XP Pro. Used to connect without fail at 49. After a complete format and re install, all I can manage to connect at is 31.2k.

I have had a look through the settings, and I can see nothing wrong. However, I am not familiar with dial up settings in XP.

There is obviously something wrong somewhere, but I cant find anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Philip2 21:51 28 Mar 03

Click on modem in control panel and see if it set for uk then go to network connections right click on your ISP then properties left click configurations the setting should be 115200bps.
This might be of some help.

Philip2 21:51 28 Mar 03

Click on modem in control panel and see if it set for uk then go to network connections right click on your ISP then properties left click configurations the setting should be 115200bps.
This might be of some help.

Stuartli 20:28 29 Mar 03

If XP is the same as Win98 with DUN try adding a comma, or even a couple of commas, immediately after your ISP's dialup area code and the actual phone number.

In Win98 you have to click on the ISP name, then Properties>General tab to be able to add the comma(s) to the number.

You can always delete the commas if it doesn't deliver a positive connection.

Re Philip2's comment. This also has to be done in the modem entry in Device Manager (at least in Win98), as you could have different settings.

Usually 115000 is sufficient, but you could try even higher settings.

Also in Network (Control Panel) highlight DialUp Adapter and chenge from automatic to Small or Medium packets; you will have to reboot afterwards. This can speed up surfing and downloading.

Tazfan 00:32 30 Mar 03

Sorted.
My mate checked windows update, and there was an updated driver for the modem. He installed it, and hey presto, decent dial up speeds again of 49ish.

Thank you for your help on this guys.

T:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…