slow cpu

jediliveson 21:43 15 Jun 03

hi there, ive currently got a 450 mhz cpu in super socket7, m598lmr system board. i want to get a more powerful cpu but i dont know which one to get, i looked at the manual and it says my board supports all socket 7 processors, but its all chinese to me! which cpus can i buy? as my pc is really slow and i want to upgrade. thanks in advance.

fitfella29 21:48 15 Jun 03

if you have a 450cpu i take it your pc is pretty old then,well in computer terms i mean.2-3 years?

ive just read that your board Supports 90~500MHz cpu`s so its not worth upgrading to a 500mhz cpu from a 450.

your gonna have to get yourself a new motherboard in order to get a new and faster cpu im afraid.

xalemo 21:50 15 Jun 03

click here

fastest at 600Mhz, not such a difference.

woodchip 21:51 15 Jun 03

You are talking at most a AMD K6-500

jediliveson 21:57 15 Jun 03

thanx for all your input, is it possible that i can get a cheap board and cpu about 1.2 mhz for under 100 quid?

Lead 22:01 15 Jun 03

click here

A little over budget, but gives you an idea of what you can get for your money.

If you get a new motherboard, you'll probably need new RAM too.

woodchip 22:05 15 Jun 03

See if this is any good to you but you may need a new case and a stick of memory click here you do not need a Graphics or CPU or Sound

Lead 22:18 15 Jun 03

Another PC Chips motherboard? Euch! :o

woodchip 22:24 15 Jun 03

yes but compare the Price with what you quoted, He mite not be richy rich

Lead 22:28 15 Jun 03

Seriously though - you need something that will last a bit longer and be upgradeable. That board only uses PC133 RAM and only 2 slots, no AGP slot and you'll probably be stuck if you want to upgrade the CPU at a later date.

Buy the best motherboard you can. Even if it means living with what you have for a month or two to save a little more money. Try and think long term. :)

As one reviewer states:

'...the real throughput speed is very low...The raw processor speed is around 734MHz, not a Gig...it has similar grunt to an Intel P2 333MHz processor...shared system/video memory kills the speed & can't seem to assign an interrupt to the video (XP Pro,SP1) possibly what really kills DVD playback, as mention by other reviewers. If you want a non-upgradable P2 333MHz system, buy this one for £40 as it has everything else you want on board'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5