Slow Computer Fixed

Terry Brown 15:23 25 Nov 09

I have a problem for a few months now with my system,It will run fine for a while, then run slow, then fine again.

First I checked all the software- no problem

Problem still there so I rebuilt my system-No change.

Removed covers and checked for dust in CPU fan, very little, cleaned - No change

Tried the memory (3 sticks),swapping around, running on one at a time -Not the problem.

Disconnected all non- essential hardware and reconnected one at a time-- BINGO

My CD-RW was at fault, Connected, system slowed down, disconnected, machine ran a lot faster.

The CD-RW was giving no indication of problem, reading and burning CD's - No Problem.

If your machine is running slow, consider the hardware as well as the software

Hope this will help someone else.
Terry

woodchip 15:56 25 Nov 09

Good post

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:55 25 Nov 09

A "firmware" flash may solve the problem.

Also if you do not have jumpers set correctly two devices on an IDE cable either have to be Master and Slave or BOTH set as cable select.
Have seen this slow down problem one one is set as cable select and the other is Master /Slave.

Terry Brown 16:16 26 Nov 09

Thanks Fruit Bat

When I suspected the CD Drive, I disconnected the DVD drive on the same cable-no difference, also changed the IDE cable, in case of a cable fault.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…