slow computer all of a sudden

notmeguv 21:01 02 Mar 04

windows xp pro, 2.4ghz. all of a sudden my computer as gone really slow, i've noticed something in my taskmanager, in processes, called services.exe and in the cpu column it goes up to 99 then back down to 60. ive tried searching for this file and i cant end its process either, is this why my computer is slow or is this service.exe normal?

Big Elf 21:08 02 Mar 04

To check that it's not spyware causing this then:

Download, update and run the following

Spybot click here

AdAware click here

Also update your Anti Virus and run a check.

notmeguv 21:11 02 Mar 04

but ive tried my spybot. services.exe as slowed down now without me doing anything, but i still cant end process or find out what it is

Gaz 25 21:17 02 Mar 04

services.exe is legit XP process.

Have you tried defragging?

Gongoozler 21:18 02 Mar 04

I just did a quick search via Google for "services.exe", and it appears that services.exe is a legitimate Windows XP process, but that it can be maliciously hijacked, or that a malicious version of "services.exe" can be installed on your computer. e.g. click here and click here. I don't understand all the implications (I'm using 98se), but I think a thorough virus and adware scan would be advisable.

Gongoozler 22:16 02 Mar 04

Someone just tried to hit me with an infrected email. Fortunately Norton AV caught it, but out of interest I checked the Symantec website, and guess what - it copies itself as services.exe. The worm is [email protected] [email protected]" title="http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]" TARGET="_new">click here

Gongoozler 22:18 02 Mar 04
  Gongoozler 22:19 02 Mar 04

Or even

http: // securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w 32.netsky.b @ mm.html

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…