Slow computer

Slowcoach 18:30 20 May 03

Please can anybody help me on this? - I've tried defragmenting the disk but it only helped a little.

I know very little about computers so could we keep it in 'dumb persons language' !! thanks

Forum Editor 18:51 20 May 03

before we can help you with this.

Please post back with details of your operating system, the Processor speed, amount of RAM installed, and what kind of software you're running.

Has the computer previously been performing well?

Have you recently installed any new software?

And anything else you think might be relevant. Then we'll be able to help.

Pesala 18:55 20 May 03

Processor, RAM memory, Hard Disk size and free space, Operating System eg Windows ME or XP

If you don't know this much, this little freeware tool will give a lot of details about your PC.

Belarc Advisor (609 K) click here System information

Then tell us what you mean by slow. How long does the PC take to start up after switching on? More than one minute is slow for Windows ME, two minutes for Windows XP is not unusual.

How many programs do you have installed? From Control Panel, Add/Remove programs to remove anything you never use will help to speed up the computer more than most other things you could do without spending money on more memory.

Slowcoach 18:59 20 May 03

I'll give it a try but I'm not computer minded - thanks for the advice. I suppose I'll have to take it in to a shop or something.

Djohn 19:00 20 May 03

Agree with all you say, but 2 minutes for XP is most unusual, 15 to 45 seconds, depending on amount of runninig applications is more in order. regards. J.

leo49 19:06 20 May 03

Don't be put off so quick!

But we do need a little more info.

How old is your PC?

When you start it up,what does it say on the screen Windows 98,ME,welcome to XP?

Has it suddenly got worse or deteriorated over a period of time?

Tell us what you can - you've got nothing to lose before spending out dosh at the local shop.

Regards

hugh-265156 19:08 20 May 03

21secs here.

click here and click here and disable uneeded services and start up programs.

then get bootvis this will speed up the boot time click here

hugh-265156 19:09 20 May 03

for xp though

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…