slow computer

chrissy1 20:30 06 Mar 09
Answered

A friend of mine got himself a 2nd hand computer and got one of those dongles that he pays for each month from Orange.....finds it all too slow....I think he needs to clean the whole thing out and start again...how would you do this without paying for it to be done?.......Must be a load of rubbish left on it....

RobCharles1981 20:34 06 Mar 09

please search the forum on this topic it has answered and talked about heaps of times.

"Search Forum" at the top.

MAJ 20:34 06 Mar 09

Let us know the spec of the PC, processor make and model, amount of RAM, etc. What does he find slow, the PC or the internet or both? Does he have an OS disk in case a reinstallation is needed? Give us as much info as you can.

Terminus90 20:37 06 Mar 09

your freind needs to format the drive and re-install the operating system, which can be done by booting from a windows xp disk and running windows setup.

chrissy1 21:04 06 Mar 09

talked to my friend...going to check on the specs.....puts dongle in and 2 hours later still not connected to internet.....he doesn't have any disks but i do for mine....can i use them to try to reinstall the windows.....????

MAJ 21:18 06 Mar 09

"he doesn't have any disks but i do for mine....can i use them to try to reinstall the windows.....????"

It depends, chrissy1. What disks do you have, are they manufacturer's restore disks or are they full Windows disks? If they are legitimate Windows disks, are the the same version as your friend's operating system? If they are and he can retrieve his Windows serial number, probably by using Magic Jellybean Keyfinder click here it should be possible to use your disk.

chrissy1 12:56 11 Mar 09
Answer

He is running windows home edition sp3........can manage to get the screen up to 'loading personal settings'......then freezes there......he cant do anything or go into anything to check how much space left etc....as it freezes at personal settings loading page

User-1229748 16:20 11 Mar 09

it may have a recovery partition on it or even just a system restore from safe mode would be worth a try.tell him to keep tapping f8 when he starts pc up then do a system restore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now