Slow Computer

sibaw 14:37 14 Jun 07

My computer started to run slow so I reformated the hard drive and re-installed the software.

It still runs slow, there is no virus, no malware, even with most services disabled and XP in basic mode there is no improvement.

When I run windows explorer thumbnails take ages to appear, if I use MS picture 7 fax viewer each picture takes ages to appear yet Memory is OK 1279mg ram, with 819mb free; swap 3051mg with 2770mb free with picture fax running.

Any ideas please?

birdface 16:47 14 Jun 07

Try the speed test, click here

birdface 16:52 14 Jun 07

Or try with your Firewall turned off.

madgamer234 16:56 14 Jun 07

whats the graphics situation.

try memtest
click here

also check dma or pio mode in device manager

device manager/ide ata atapi controller/ primary ide controller/properties/advanced/transfer mode

sibaw 19:22 14 Jun 07

Thanks to you all for the quick response;

The internet is OK the speed problem is with applications. even with ony one application running at a time its slow. If I have photoshop
and picture and fax viewer open, it takes ages for each tif file to open the file sizes are high, 63mgb. The graphics card is radeon, my pc a Sony Vaio.

I could not get memtest to work it would not boot up

Thanks

birdface 20:17 14 Jun 07

Try Checking to see if it's set to Dma like the Raven suggested.Right click my computer.Properties. Hardware.Device Manager. Ide controllers. Primary IDE Chanel. Properties.Advanced settings.Select Dma if available on both devices,Ok, And then do the same with Secondary Ide channel.That should do it.While in device Manager make sure there is no yellow exclamation marks beside any of your programs.

skidzy 20:46 14 Jun 07

Dma reset tool click here

make sure its set to the faster DMA and not PIO.

Memtest bootable cd click here

Just burn the file to cd/insert the cd to your cd/dvd drive and restart the computer.Let Memtest run for at least a couple of hours,preferbly longer.

Your syptoms does seem to point to leaking/failing ram or possibly a faulty psu.

Check all cables are connected firmly and any internal cards are seated firmly.

zeppman 21:10 14 Jun 07

can some one explain how to use the memtest in easy terms (newbie) I have it burnt to disc.I'm running XP pro 32bit on a 64 bit cpu because of driver issues.

skidzy 21:13 14 Jun 07

If you use my link above,just burn to disc and insert the disc and reboot.Memtest will run and diagnose your ram for errors.

skidzy 21:28 14 Jun 07

You may have to change the bios boot order from hdd/cd/floppy/usb to cd/hdd/floppy/usb to get the cd to boot from startup.
Floppy and usb may not apply if not listed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…