slow computer

the old man 10:14 12 Nov 06

"d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart)."

I am checking settings on my computer as it has started to slow down, sometimes quite drastically. By this i mean taking over a minute, sometimes 2, to open new programs. An example is say from firefox to thunderbird or opening ewido with firefox already open. Don't believe firefox is the bottleneck by the way as these are just 2 examples.
I have all the usual suspects installed and are all up to date, i.e. AV, spyware, graphic drivers, xp home sp2 updates etc. checks are done every couple of days.
I have 1.5gig of memory, two HDD's of 160 and 80 respectively and an athlon xp2000.
I have seen this posted but wanted someone to just confirm what settings I should use with 1.5 gig of memory. Current setting is 738.

Scouter 10:25 12 Nov 06

I have mine set at system managed - not had any problems with regard to virtual memeory.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:36 12 Nov 06

With 1.5 gig of memory you shouldn't need to worry too much about virtual memory.
The guide is really if you have low amount of memory i.e. 256 - 525 Mb

Let the system manage it ad look elsewhere for you slow down problems.
De frag drive, clear out all temporary files etc.

Probabilitydrive 10:41 12 Nov 06

"Don't believe firefox is the bottleneck...".

There seem to be memory hogging issues regarding Firefox. More info on:

click here

the old man 11:46 12 Nov 06

Have done as suggested by all and will see how it goes over the next couple of days.
thanks for replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…