Slow Computer

dbi 10:51 31 Dec 05

Can anyone help me with a problem my friend has with is computer. It is running extremely slow when trying to open up any programmes and takes about four or five minutes to shut down or change over user accounts. I installed and ran a programme called CCleaner, used disk cleanup and disk defrag, checked the system for viruses and installed and ran two anti-spyware programmes. There were no viruses or spyware present and the speed did improve, but only very slightly.

The system is a Sempron 2.6GHz, 256 Ram, Windows XP Home, 60 gig HDD of which is half full and DVD drive. The computer is about a year old and was bought complete from a popular high street store. He is on Broadband and his daughter downloads loads of music if this is of any help, he runs Panda anti-virus suit and uses Windows firewall. As yet I don’t know what motherboard he has or FSB etc. Prior to getting the Internet I am told he didn’t have these problems. They don’t use the system for playing games just mainly browsing the web or using the word processor.

I was thinking maybe one of RAM sticks could be faulty or possibly the anti virus suit he has installed could be slowing him down, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated otherwise it might have to be a re-format and start again!

Totally-braindead 10:56 31 Dec 05

Does he defrag it regularly? The other thought is what else in the way of programs is running in the background, many programs by default load themselves into the taskbar thereby dragging the speed down.

Longhouse 11:07 31 Dec 05

Try clearing the cookies and temporary internet files.

When thats done, go to click here to check your system and follow any recomendations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…