a slow computer???

aceguy 10:26 03 Mar 05

my pal gave me her pc to fix - it was running slow and when it went onto the net it got a red\green triangle sayin she was getting cut of in 30 secondshe is broadband gold - i checked pc and she had 7 viruses and about 200 spyware thangs
could that do that to her net connection a dialer???

Gongoozler 10:54 03 Mar 05

I'm sure you will be installing a free antivirus such as Avast click here, and anti-adware such as AdAware click here

curlylad 11:20 03 Mar 05

Can you please post back giving the exact names of the 7 vruses that the PC has and also details of any adaware , spyware or anti virus that are installed.We can then hopefully get rid of the infections and advise on how to prevent future infections.

griffon 56 11:26 03 Mar 05

Hi Aceguy, Endorse Gongoozler's suggestions. I presume she's had a broadband modem fitted to enable the gold connection so I'd also recommend you disable, disconnect or take out the dial -up modem which might still be enabled. Even tho' she's broadband, a rogue dialler can take over if the facility to dial out is still present on the computer.

In addition, you ought to install a firewall if you've not already got one activated, such as the one in WinXP. There's also a good free one at click here and for a whole load of free protection, and other, software go to click here, and there's a great malware detector and killer at click here. You can't have enough. Regards.

griffon 56 11:38 03 Mar 05

Furthermore, there is good stuff at click here at click here and at click here

The well known Spybot Search & Destroy is at click here.

There is an online virus checker and remover at click here corp.asp and another at click here.

curlylad 12:17 03 Mar 05

If you post the exact names of the viruses then we can specifically deal with these immediate threats to your system.When we have removed these threats then we can start installing defences against future threats from the useful links provided by Gongoozler and griffon 56 .

aceguy 10:25 05 Mar 05

sorry i took so long to reply. i did not write down the virus names but they were mostly dialers. i installed avg - zone alarm - spybot & ad-aware and cleaned her pc of everything. she now has it back and is going to let me know if the probs are fixed. cheers for the help all.

Gongoozler 12:40 05 Mar 05

AntiDialer is good for blocking any dialers that get past the antivirus click here

aceguy 13:14 05 Mar 05

i will take a look at that - cheers.

LOVET 17:06 18 Apr 05

Bought new from Mesh but they don't want to talk to me, perhaps they know something! But have Norton A/V and SkyBot but don't help. Not on broadband so why is it so slow initially?

Help anybody, preferably Mesh!

Lovet

Pooke100 17:11 18 Apr 05

Your best to start a new thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…