Slow Computer

Peterped 17:30 19 Dec 04

I have been having trouble running slow and quite a few soft-ware progs not responding. it took seven and a half hours to scandisk. I was told by a mate of mine that he had had the same problem ( something to do with the CPU )and he went into the registry and found a file (IFUC.exe)and deleted it and everything was fine. I'm a bit worried about deleting in the registry anybody got any ideas please. I use Windows 98 SE.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:41 19 Dec 04

Dow3nload the following..run them and de;ete all they find......

Ccleaner click here

Adaware click here

Regseeker click here

Regseeker will make a backup of registry deletions but I have never needed to use it.

G

Gongoozler 17:41 19 Dec 04

The first thing to do perhaps is to look in your C drive for IFUC.exe. If you don't have it, then you don't need to worry about it. Try running AdAware click here to see if there is any spyware clogging your computer. Then run a complete virus scan. You don't tell us anything about your computer, but Windows 98 works well with 256M RAM, so if you have less it might be worth adding more. The computer will also run at its best if the hard drive is less than half full, so are you ok in that area. The Windows 98 defragmenter is pretty awful, so try Diskeeper Lite click here.

phillyw 17:42 19 Dec 04

I too had a slow PC downloaded Ace Utilities from click here for a 30 day trial.My PC used to take 6 hours to defragment now it takes 10 minutes, no i'm not joking.Ace Utilities cleans junk files,broken short cuts,duplicate files,IE history,registry fixes and more besides.If your a novice or not sure what to delete,click on Wizard for safety.Iwas so impressed i payed my £17 for life usage,try it,i did.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…