//some 3rd party need geo

Slow computer

exdragon 17:52 28 Apr 04

Hi - I've got WinSE, 512mb ram, pentium 111 and the machine has got very sluggish. I've run AVG (updated whenever there's a new version), scanned, defragged, disk cleaned, removed *.chk & *tmp files, internet history and have removed unused programs. I've had a look at Skybot, but don't really understand it - I've deleted a few cookie related entries but that's as far as I've got!

I looked at an earlier reply to the same question - this was the answer:
have a look in - start - run - msconfig - startup. loads of boxes with ticks in - take the ticks out of everything except your virus checker and firewall and restart.

In msconfig, I've got about 22 items, several refer to AVG and ZoneAlarm, also scanreg and loadpowerprofile - surely I need more than the 2 mentioned in the reply above? Can someone remind me where I can find that list which covers everything which may be running and which tells you what they are and what you need?

Thanks

SANTOS7 18:03 28 Apr 04

control-alt-delete, process tab

exdragon 18:11 28 Apr 04

Sorry - I don't understand. If I control-alt-del, all I get is the option to close down. What I'm after is the list on the internet somewhere which lists all the programs which may be listed in msconfig and which tells you what they are and if they are really needed.

exdragon 18:36 28 Apr 04

Just noticed - I missed the 98 out of the WinSe in my original post, but I'm sure you all realised that!

canard 19:16 28 Apr 04

click here for startup list essentials or otherwise. However he's reached his limit for today so try domani

canard 19:19 28 Apr 04

click here or try this one now.

bertiecharlie 19:44 28 Apr 04
  exdragon 23:52 28 Apr 04

Thanks a lot - I've just got home so will have a look tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

exdragon 23:52 28 Apr 04

Thanks a lot - I've just got home so will have a look tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

woodchip 00:04 29 Apr 04

Worst offenders are Ms Office fast find etc. remove any Ms Office and it will make a big difference. in Msconfig

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…