Slow computer

ski2004 20:33 22 Mar 04

I have a pentium 4 computer with 2.4ghz processor, a 20gb hard drive and a 100Gb hard drive i have 1Gb of Ram it seems real slow for what i have inside it, help me!!!!!

Totally-braindead 20:36 22 Mar 04

Do you Defrag regularly?

ski2004 20:38 22 Mar 04

Indigo 1 20:42 22 Mar 04

When you say slow what are you comparing it with ?

Is it slow with just one or two applications and fine with others or just generally treacle-ish ?

When is it slower, when booting or after a period of time ?

Which O/S ?

ski2004 20:46 22 Mar 04

Windows XP Pro, usually after a while of me leaving it on, when i have a few progs running and minimize them it takes a while for them to come back up when i select them again(about 10 secs). i usually have about 4 progs running at one time with the internet on all the time.

Indigo 1 21:42 22 Mar 04

I am wondering if something is accessing the internet in the background ie looking for updates.

Have you checked with Task Manager to see what else is running and what your CPU load is and Network activity ?

Indigo 1 15:34 23 Mar 04

P4's have a thermal cutout, when the CPU reaches a certain temp it stops working at full capacity to prevent further overheating and runs at something like 800Mhz I believe.

This would seem very slow compared to it's rated 2.4Ghz.

I think you may have a heat problem, you need to take the side cover off and check for dust in and around the heatsink also check that the CPU fan is spinning freely and not obstructed. You can buy cans of compressed air from computer retailers for blowing out the dust for about 6 quid but be careful not to dislodge any jumpers on the motherboard.

Also check the case fans are not obstructed and are spinning freely.

Sethhaniel 15:38 23 Mar 04

processor after so long idle???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…