slow computer

smudger201 16:52 17 Jan 04

Please help,for some reason my pc has almost come to a standstill after switching on,it takes ages to do the simplest tasks,the prosesor seems to be at full streach all the time,but it seems ok in safe mode,any suggestions.

961 16:56 17 Jan 04

Check for virus, spyware, trojans

smudger201 17:01 17 Jan 04

Trying that at the moment,let you know how it goes

Dazwm 17:04 17 Jan 04

Have you done your normal 'housekeeping' like defragging?

AragornUK 17:14 17 Jan 04

This happened to my parents PC after (despite regular advice) they kept not updating their AV software. Also, ZA stopped loading and AVG just kept shutting down too.

What OS are you running? If it's XP look in tasmanager for a file called svchos1.exe NOTE: svchost.exe is a legitimate windows file. svchos1.exe is a virus. I had to manually remove it because it refused to let AVG start up. It involves registry editing, so not for the faint hearted. Also, look in Windows\system32\wins. Delete any file you find in this folder. Both of these assume running XP.

howard60 17:15 17 Jan 04

have a look in - start - run - msconfig - startup. loads of boxes with ticks in - take the ticks out of everything except your virus checker and firewall and restart. You will be surprised at the difference it makes. Once restarted put a tick in the box in the panel do not show again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…