Slow on close down

Hunslet 11:43 25 Feb 07

Hello all, hope someone can help with this problem.We had an issue with the sound problem which is now sorted,but a system restore was carried out in the process.This has now caused the PC to 'hang' for about 2 mins when close down is pressed.Having searched for answers I tried the solution below.

Jackcoms
Sat, [email protected]:39
It will take about 8-10 seconds for Windows to close after the fix:

1- Start/Run and type Regedit
2- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENT CONTROL SET/CONTROL
3- Click on “Control”
4- Select “Wait to kill service timeout”
5- Right click and select “Modify”
6- Set to a lower value than 2000
7- A setting of 200 will be sufficient
This was great for the 1st close down (took about 10 seconds)but now it is back to 2/3 mins.All was fine before the system restore took place - any suggestions ? I am running XP.
Mnay thanks,Spike.

FreeCell 12:42 25 Feb 07

click here

click here

Couple of sources of further help.

dms05 13:16 25 Feb 07

FreeCell - your first links recommendation on closing down Terminal Services has solved a Start Up and Shutdown problem on my Acer Laptop. Many thanks!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:08 25 Feb 07

Shutdown problems
click here
click here
click here

Hunslet 15:23 25 Feb 07

Cheers for the replies,had a look through and seems to be getting into something I don't want to mess with (not an expert with pc's..).
The thing is,why would it close down straight away after following Jackoms solution but then revert back to a slow close down again ?

Technotiger 15:27 25 Feb 07

Hi, check which programs you have still active in the Taskbar at bottom of screen - one of them may be causing the hold-up...iObit Smartdefrag (which I use and is great) can cause this, if any are still active right-click their icon(s) and click exit, before shutting down.

Hunslet 11:06 26 Feb 07

Thanks Tt but still not solving the problem.What I have found out is the wife had done a system recovery instead of system restore - would this cause any problems,pc was perfect with a very fast shut down since this was performed.

Hunslet 08:33 28 Feb 07

Hello again,the latest update to my problem is,when i start the pc up (very quick)and dont go online,then close down (very quick)there is no problem,so....it only seems to be slow closing down when i have been on line ? what could be causing this problem, i dont leave any programmes running and exsit game sites etc. in the correct way.Any help on this one please,Spike.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…