Slow Browser

Ex.Airways 01:24 03 Nov 07

Advice please.
Any tweeks for browser/internet options to get faster downloads?

ISP BT Yahoo dial up.
Connection speed usually about 24to 36Kb/sec. (House is 10k/meters from exchange hence no broadband)
I use Onspeed accelerator.
AVG Free.
Windows XP.
Computer itself is OK speed wise, all computer housekeeping actioned regularly.
I already block HTML graphics
I have selected 'never' in the check for newer versions of internet pages.
Regards,
ex Airways

Totally-braindead 10:09 03 Nov 07

Sorry but I have to say its unlikely that theres any way to speed things up on a dialup connection you are already doing the things I might have suggested.

Clapton is God 11:28 03 Nov 07

Agree with Totally-braindead.

Thus, the simple answer to your question is - switch to Broadband

pchelper001 19:26 03 Nov 07

have you tried different web browsers? sometimes different one load pages faster.

Totally-braindead 19:29 03 Nov 07

pchelpers suggestion might help, no harm in trying it anyway.

I presume the distance you are from the exchange means BB is not an option at all?

Ex.Airways 22:35 03 Nov 07

Thanks guys,
BT Openreach have tried a number of times to get a broadband signal to my house and each time engineer has reported that signal becomes unusable about 3Km from house. Openreach say that under their '21st Century Network' programme I eventually will get Broadband when they roll out the 20Mb/sec Broadband under that scheme. Although they have stated that it will be nowhere near that speed once (if) the signal reaches the house.
I have used BT Yahoo Browser and IE7 both take about same time to load a web page.

birdface 10:58 04 Nov 07

I am not sure if this will help you,It certainly made my computer run a bit faster.Winaso Optimizer trial edition it also has a registry defrag on it,It will only repair 10 items at a time but you can run it as often as you like.Well worth a try.click here

Ex.Airways 12:27 05 Nov 07

Thanks Buteman,
Noticable increase in speed after using Winaso.
But deft selection in the options window and listing errors by 'decreasing most dangerous' it did not take too many runs of the system at 10 errors correction at a time to see a difference.
Notably most of the errors were in the Add/remove programmes,and invalid files section looking at the file path it was mostly an old printer that I replaced and some other programmes I removed using 'add/remove programmes' in control panel.
Thanks again.

stylehurst 14:23 05 Nov 07

Try Opera as your Web browser; it is normally much faster than IE7.

p;3 14:23 06 Nov 07

not sure which ad blocker you are using but if you try click here

the Hosts text file and regulary update it , it stops virtually ALL ads on pages that DO slow things down

also; I am not convinced about the value of the use of the Onspeed accelerator; I think it may really be a waste of tiem ultimately;
dial up WILL always BE slow as it IS dial up

do you find THIS forum's pages very slow to load?

Ex.Airways 01:04 07 Nov 07

Dear P;3,
Web page downloading seems to have returned to usual speed (For Dial up) after loading WinAso.
I wonder if it was a problem with BT Yahoo dial up?
On speed is free to BT Anytime customers so why not use it, It does speed things up a little but picture quality is lost.

Most web pages in my favorites (BT Yahoo Bookmarks) load quickly but may sometimes need a 'refresh' operation. Searching for a website can take 20/30 seconds.

IE7 Browser is slighly faster (On my computer) than the BTYahoo browser. I will consider downloading Opera if someone will give me a link please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…