slow broadband=virus??

Keithrow 20:33 18 Dec 03

I am running W98 se with NTL broadband. My internet access has become so slow, 600 version, it took 2.5 miunutes to load NTL's home page this afternoon.
On speaking to their t/s, they looked at programs I had open, automatic on startup, these are Explorer, Internat, Msnmsgr, Ccapp, Navapw32, Loadqm, Poproxy, Stimon, Starter, Systray, Hpztsb04. I have no idea what most of these are and have been careful with the spellings. My computer showed system resourses at 67% free. On closing all except Starter, Systray, Explorer & Msnmsgr the system showed 75% free.
NTL's t/s said that this was far too small a % and probably meant a virus.
I have Norton Internet Security 2004 running and up to date.
Could I have a virus?
Any help would be most appreciated. Please be aware that I am not very technical.

Keithrow 20:35 18 Dec 03

I should have mentioned that they, NTL, tested the connection and told me it was excellent and definitely was not to blame for the slowness.
Keith

plsndrs3 20:41 18 Dec 03

click here

Ad-aware & Spybot S&D both are highly recommended by this forum. Also use Stinger vil.nai.com/vil/stinger as this could find a worm on the system which 'auto dials' home.

Post back after this & let us know if you still have a problem & other suggestions will be given.

Regards,

Paul

Wayneh 20:44 18 Dec 03

Even with broadband, it can get slower as the server your connecting to gets busy. its happened to me a few times and its usually in the evening or weekends.

Hope this is of use to you
Wayne

MAJ 20:51 18 Dec 03

The startup programmes you listed seem to be okay, although Internat can be tricky. While it is a genuine Windows file there is also a virus that uses that name. Do a search for internat.exe on your system see what you come up with, if I remember correctly the genuine file is about 20k and the virus file is about 80k.

Keithrow 20:54 18 Dec 03

Will try the things you suggest.
I'll get back asap.
Many thanks
Keith

Keithrow 01:44 19 Dec 03

Internat showed a 40k program, I assume that this does not reflect a virus.
I've loaded and run Stinger but found no viruses. Spybot was more successful and managed to track down and isolate several cookies.
I'm still showing only 60% free in system/properties. NTL said this was far too low and should be up to 90% and that this low % indicated the presence of a virus. Is that likely to be true?
Thanks to you all.
Keith

Keithrow 11:28 19 Dec 03

Things seem to be much quicker this morning, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the problem, if there was one, has been solved.
I'll not put a 'tick' yet but will try it later in the day.
Regarding the system resourses, is 60% free about right?
NTL t/s seemed to blame this as the cause of the slow connection saying that I should be getting more like 90% free.
Thanks again
Keith

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…