Slow Broadband since had to do system recovery

steved99 15:55 14 Mar 08

I had to do a system recovery on my Compaq desktop (XP Home). I'm having to reinstall my antivirus (AVG Free), anti spyware (Adaware) and firewall (Zone Alarm) etc. and noticed they were taking ages to download. A speed test on ZDNET indicated 467kb/sec (I've got up to 8MB broadband). Is it likely to be related to the system recovery or just a coincidence and something I need to contact my ISP about?

Clapton is God 15:59 14 Mar 08

"A speed test on ZDNET indicated 467kb/sec"

A single speed test will, frankly, tell you nothing.

Try a test at different times of the day for several days.

That will give you a much better idea of the average you are achieving.

MAT ALAN 18:07 14 Mar 08

You may need to update modem/router drivers....

steved99 17:58 21 Mar 08

Although the PC is up and running again it is still unstable and plagued with other problems which may be affecting internet performance. I'll try and get those resolved and see what happens. My ISP acknowledged that there was a problem with my connection and made a change which led to a small improvement.

Thanks to all helpers.

MAJ 18:08 21 Mar 08

"A single speed test will, frankly, tell you nothing."

A single speedtest giving a result of 467kb/sec on an up to 8Mbit connection, will tell you a lot. It'll tell you there is something drasically wrong. A few further speedtests one after the other will give an average of what your speed is, but at 4pm I would expect a bad result to be around 4 or 5 Mbits/sec, not .5Mbits/sec.

Clapton is God 21:12 21 Mar 08

"I would expect a bad result to be around 4 or 5 Mbits/sec, not .5Mbits/sec."

And does that also account for distance from the exchange, local contention ratios, quality of the telephone line, whether the PC is modem or router, Ethernet or USB connected and whether the ISP is LLU for instance?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…