Slow broadband download speed

Ronjo94 16:50 27 Feb 10

Hi all. My wife and I have identical pc's 2M cpu, 2g memory running XP OS. Just upgrading to wireless N has caused me to take my wife's slow speed complaint seriously. I tried all that I know, short of reinstalling the OS (which I'de prefer to avoid)I get a full 50m broadband download and 1.6M upload which is normal. All I can get on my wife's pc is 10m download but with 1.6M upload(normal). Iv'e proved that it is the pc be switching the machines over with mine receiving only 10M download. I have even used TCT Optimiser which improved the speed from 8M to the present 10M. Does anyone have any suggestions(apart from OS reinstall or binning the pc)please.

mgmcc 16:54 27 Feb 10

How is the "slow" PC connecting to the router? If by ethernet cable, the network adapter could be set to 10Mbps instead of 100Mbps.

MarvintheAndroid 16:55 27 Feb 10

10m is slow ????

Are you referring to the wireless network connection speed or the broadband speed ? Suggest you try the internet bendwidth speed test at pcpitstop.com to see how your internet is performing.

Marv

mgmcc 17:06 27 Feb 10

>>> 10m is slow ????

On a Virgin 50Mbps Cable connection it would be! ;)

Ronjo94 17:39 27 Feb 10

Hi. Have tried with both ethernet cable and wireless - same result. When I switched the pc's I also tried both.

Ronjo94 17:42 27 Feb 10

The speeds were checked using on line speed checkers

MarvintheAndroid 19:02 27 Feb 10

mgmcc I was referring somewhat obliquely to the fact that some of us poor suckers feel lucky on those days we can get 2 meg !!

Marv

mgmcc 20:56 27 Feb 10

It may be that the TCP/IP stack or Winsock has been damaged in which case open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK).

To repair the TCP/IP stack, at the prompt, type...

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

...and press Enter

(note the spaces in the command line). The original prompt will reappear, exit the Command Prompt window and reboot the PC.

To reset Winsock entries, at the prompt, type...

netsh winsock reset catalog

...and press Enter

Exit the Command Prompt window and reboot the PC. (If running both repairs, reboot only after running the second command.)

Ronjo94 11:55 03 Mar 10

Many thanks to all for your comments in particular mgmcc.None of the suggestions helped but, I have now resolved the problem, After isolating apps one by one I discovered that the AVG virus app was the cause. Reinstalling this effected a cure. Now getting around 45M wireless at about 5 metres and on the wireless G laptop in the garden 15 metres I'm getting around 20M. Thanks again
Ron

MarvintheAndroid 21:00 07 Mar 10

Makes me sick (with envy).

M

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…