Slow Bootup

Radster 05:34 31 Dec 08

I recently reinstalled my system to remove some infected files I had and once reinstalled the system genrally booted up within around 7 seconds from XP LOGO to being able to use it.

After installing the SP3 pack and associated updates the xp logo appears then all i get is a black screen for around 4 to 5 minutes.

once the system has loaded it runs fine everything seems ok within it but it does have some days where it just does not want to work.

I recently added a USB 2.0 PCI deviced installed neccesary drivers, i though this was the issue so removed however problem remained. I reinstalled just to see and system boots fine without the xp updates does anyone have any infomation on which update may be if any causing the system to hang aboot up.

crosstrainer 07:28 31 Dec 08

Assuming that you did a clean install (deleted all partition's) When you started afresh, then this could be an SP3 issue.

Make and model of machine?

If you performed a repair, or "Over the old" Copy installation, some infections could still be present.

birdface 09:51 31 Dec 08

After updating SP3 it was advisable to do a defrag.Not sure if this would include new installs.But worth a try.

birdface 09:55 31 Dec 08

Have you checked device manager to see if there is any yellow exclamation marks with any of your drivers.This will check that your drivers are up to date,its free.click here While in there make sure your IDE-Atapi controllers are set to DMA and not PIO.

Radster 10:50 31 Dec 08

its a custom built machine running a p4 1.8 northwood chip with a asus p4s333-vm motherboard, rebooted pc with new partitions and formatted hardrives on every occasion. never did a defrag after sp3 update which i will certainly try however i restarted the pc last night and went to bed before the system actually managed to shut down this morning i cam down to a black screen and green light on monitor.

I recently install a HP printer and noticed on another post that there were issues booting te machines with the printer on, removed to see if this would help but nothing again.

device manager is all setup and correct no faulty deviced all drivers are latest drivers and system bios was updated to most recent less than 2 months ago.

if i reformat back to sp2 with nothing running the system runs fine its as soon as i install sp3 i get the initial problems.

Will try a full defrag now see what happens.

Radster 12:49 31 Dec 08

OK a full defrag did nothing the pc system told me it didnt need doing but did it anyway, is there any utility programmes that will tell me in plain english whats going on at the system boot up and not give me graphical stats on memory and stuff.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017