Slow boot in xp

Esso43 20:50 20 Oct 08

My sony laptop VGN-s3xp running windows xp pro has started taking and age to boot up.

I have scanned and virus protected firewalled etc.

It appears to actually be Windows itself taking an age to start up. I don't seem to have many programmes starting up I have cleared 25% space on the system drive defragged all those things I can think of.

Any susggestions on things to try.

Esso43 20:53 20 Oct 08

Oh forgot to mention runs fine once up and running.

hiwatt 21:00 20 Oct 08

If you have a look in msconfig under startup all you really need is your antivirus,firewall,anti spyware to run at boot up.You could untick anything else that's running one by one and see if it helps.

skidzy 21:01 20 Oct 08

It seems you have have done most things to try and speed up the machine.
For what its worth,i have a half decent spec laptop and since sp3 install has slowed to a crawl while booting.However once up and running its fine.

I have tried no end of things to speed this machine up but to no avail,and this is restored to factory settings yearly if not sooner.I am due to restore the machine and reinstall all updates to see if sp3 is the culprit (when i get time),however my only real suggestion is to up the ram,check your drivers are upto date and run ccleaner click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:01 20 Oct 08

Is your antivirus or antimalware trying to run a scan on startup?

scandisk running on start?

skidzy 21:03 20 Oct 08

If you go into MSCONFIG be careful on what is disabled,especially as this is a laptop.You do not want to disable the touchpad for one.

Esso43 21:18 20 Oct 08

Yeh I use ccleaner I will try disabling the scans see if that makes any difference It has been bad since sp3, that is probably what it is *sigh* not going to try ram increase scary laptop!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…