slow to boot to windows

fridgy 06:02 24 Jan 08

Recently built new computer and re installed Vista, all working well, Added another HDD but when booting it takes up to 2 mins to go from post to windows and then a further 2 mins of blank screen before vista boots!!
Post screen shows both HDD in the correct order and as master and slave!!
Any advice?

howard64 12:25 24 Jan 08

you could have a delay built in to the loading sequence. Try disconnecting the second hdd and see if it gets rid of the delay. If it does then you might have a conflict between the two drives. You did not say how the drives are connected are they ide or sata.? on the same drive cable? etc.

fridgy 20:44 24 Jan 08

Howard64

When the second HDD is disconnected the system boots ok.
both drives are ide and connected on the same socket, 2 x ide dvd rw are on the other ide socket on one cable,
I wondered if it would make a difference if i connected both HDD's to seperate sockets?

ie 1 x hdd with 1 x rw

howard64 20:56 26 Jan 08

a simple mistake often made is that the slave and master are in the wrong positions on the cable. The master should be at the end of the cable and the slave connected to the centre plug. Another problem could be that the 2 drives have different transfer rates. They will both operate at the speed of the slowest. You could of course experiment by connecting them to separate cables.

User-1233372 09:14 27 Jan 08

fridgy
You got the Jumpers on the right Pins on Both Hard Drives? Also if you havent checked already, Look in the BIOS, and goto the Boot Device Options, and make sure you select the HDD with the OS on as the first Boot Device.
If you built a PC, I gather you've already checked those areas, but even the most experience PC Engineers make simple mistake :D.

Gav

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…