slow boot up then springs to life

Troyness 21:42 26 Sep 04

My pc has now decided to take up to 5 mins to boot up.Once Windows Xp does load again it take ages to place any icons on the tool bar.While this is happening nothing can be started i.e. pressing the "start" button.Stranger is the noise coming from the HDD,its like the HDD is searching for something,but this stops when everything springs into life,and all the prog icons and other windows buttons become active again.I have read on another forum it could be a norton prog causing this,but i have had no problems before with Norton.Once its booted up its fine!!!any help would be appreciated.

kimjhon 22:54 26 Sep 04

Your antivirus may be scanning boot records before windows loads, but this should not take long.

If you have Spybot S&D have a look on the StartUp tab. There may be progs loading that you dont want.

Troyness 20:02 28 Sep 04

Cheers dcdc,i took your advice and my pc seems to have got quicker,and the noise from the HDD has stopped.I'll keep my ears and eyes on it for a while.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…