slow boot up and start up items

cosh 20:41 24 Sep 03

SLOW RUNNING PC

My PC, 500MHz AMD-K6, 64MB ram and 8GB hard disc running windows 98 SE has become very slow to boot up and to run applications. It is just over 3yrs old and the hard disc is just over half full of files and applications. I regularly defrag the disc.
I suspect that the slow boot up is due to it starting many applications on its own. I have not intentionally asked it to start anything.

How do I find out what it is starting? and how do I control it?

From what I have read I thought that the only items automatically started on start up were listed in my StartUp folder-(Start-Programs-StartUp) but apparently not.
This only contains "Watch" - relevant to my scanner
"Epson Status Monitor- relevant to my printer

However the rhs of my task bar contains the following 6 items and the time which I assume are all started.
Task Scheduler
Display
Creative Mixer
MSN maessenger Service
Direct Scan
Norton Anti virus
Norton Internet Security

Also in System Information (Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools- System Infomation-Software Environment-Start up Programs) I obtained the following list

Watch Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\TWAIN_32\1200UB\WATCH.exe

EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_SRCV03.EXE

Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run) RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY

ATI Launchpad Registry (Per-User Run)
MSMSGS Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe /background

ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun

SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe

TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe

StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE

bpcpost.exe Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\bpcpost.exe

UKVideo2 Registry (Machine Run) c:\program files\dialers\ukvideo2\ukvideo2.exe /noconnect

ccApp Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"

ccRegVfy Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"

CreativeMixer Registry (Machine Run) C:\SBPCI\ctmix32.exe /T

SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe

SAgent2ExePath Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe

ccEvtMgr Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"

Nisum Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE

ccPxySvc Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\CCPXYSVC.EXE

ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg

SAgent95ExePath Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent95.exe

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THESE THREE LISTS OF APPARENT START UP ITEMS?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…