Slow boot up problem

Paraaanoid Android 16:53 19 Aug 03

I have the following installed on my PC which is a K758XE motherboard fitted with An ATHLON 2.2 Ghz processor and 512 mb of 266 DDR Ram with the American Megatrends BIOS and a bus clock speed of 133Mhz

A 30 GB Maxtor hard drive, which is configured as the Primary Master and also contains the Windows ME o/s

A LITE ON CD-RW drive that is configured as the Primary Slave

A 20 GB Maxtor hard drive that is configured as the Secondary Master and is used for backing up files and data storage.

An Atapi CD-ROM, which is configured as the Secondary Slave

All are set to AUTO on boot up but when it comes to the 20GB drive booting up there is a pause of about 20 to 30 seconds as the PC tries to seek the drive. It eventually finds the drive, but slows down the Boot up process. What can be done to alleviate this nagging problem please?

.dave 17:14 19 Aug 03

I think the problem here is the IDE (data) cables.

When the PC boots up it will send a packet to the cable and depending how many devices you have on it will affect the amount of time the PC takes to boot up.
Most cables will have 2 connectors so try removing devices to test.
Try booting up without and CD drives connected and with the hard drives on their own cables.
If you find that this is better then experiment with different configurations on the cable.

It might not be this at all but at least it will eliminate this as the cause

krypt1c 19:21 19 Aug 03

You should also make your 2nd HDD your primary slave rather than your CD-RW.

Blitzer 20:35 19 Aug 03

As Krypt1c said the first thing to do is swap the cables around a bit so both your HD's share the primary IDE connector and your CD and CDRW the secondary IDE.

I've also found you can gain a slight improvement in boot times by going into the BIOS and getting the BIOS to automatically detect the drives there, then save these settings before rebooting. This way the BIOS effectively already knows what disk drive is connected to the IDE channels and negates the need to detecting them each time you boot the system. What you do have to remember is to set it back to auto detect if you do change and drives at a later date. HTH. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…