Slow boot up on login screen & virtual memory

oo7juk 19:17 19 Jun 03

Just recently my PC has taken longer than normal to boot up at the login screen and tonight it also gave me the message that my virtual memory was Low, any ideas, many thanks.
My OS is Xp home edtion and I have the password function activated on my PC.

James.

powerless 20:42 19 Jun 03

How much RAM do you have?

For the virtual memory > Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Settings (first one) > Advanced > Change > Select "system managed size" and then click set. Now click ok and restart your computer.

If you want you can add your min and max vlaues. Do this by selecting "Custom size" For initial size i have 768 and max i have 1536. Works perfectly...

I have 512MB RAM.

VoG® 20:57 19 Jun 03

To speed up the boot process use Bootvis click here.

Start Bootvis and go to File/New and choose "Next boot trace" or "Next boot and drivers trace". Leave everything else as is and get ready for a reboot in 15 seconds. Then click on the Bootvis.exe, it will now output the results, once it has finished generating the report, you will see graphs 5 or 6 graphs. From the main menu .. Click on Trace >> optimize system, then reboot.

You will see a message box "Please wait for bootvis to load" ... about 20 seconds later another message box will appear "Optimizing system for boot performance" basically Bootvis is rearranging the boot files for a faster startup.

oo7juk 22:14 19 Jun 03

Powerless,

I have 120mb of ram, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…