slow boot up

Boy Zone 17:30 10 Feb 11

My PC has developed a work to rule, very slow start up time 4mins 31secs.
Progs which seem to take the most time to load are:-
Zone alarm 20 sec
Systems 40 sec
AVG 37 sec
Svchost 15 sec
Service and Ctrl 13 sec
MS CSRP 15 sec
AVG IDS app 12 sec
Win NT Local 11 Sec
True Vector SRVC 20 sec
There are loads of other progs which each take from 0.2 sec to 8 secs to load. I've been through MSCONFIG to reduce the progs loading and only have AVG and Zone Alarm in start up, so whats going on with my lap top.
I use win XP with 2 G of RAM, 133 clock speed. The program I use to monitor start up time is Soluto.
regards

howard64 09:42 11 Feb 11

perhaps it is the monitoring prog that is slowing things down. If you system hss been running more than a couple of years your system probably needs a clean install. I do this about every 15 months or so. The difference it makes is very noticeable. The other thing you can do is look at the list of services running and you can disable a lot of them. There are a few lists that tell you which ones you can disable.

Boy Zone 09:47 11 Feb 11

thanks for the reply, the monitoring program runs OK on friends PC so don't think this is the problem. If you see the time it takes running the other start up progams seems to be the real problem.
I only rebuilt my laptop less than 12 months ago, and only started to run slow about 2 months ago, and I've not installed any new programs, other than WIN updates.

birdface 09:59 11 Feb 11

make sure AVG does not run a scan at start up.
Switch off Microsoft Updates temporarily to see if that makes any difference.
Check Device manager to see if any driver updates needed.
Run the free version of malwarebytes to see if that finds any problems.

birdface 10:20 11 Feb 11

Maybe hard drive is near full or maybe more memory needed.

Defrag.Run C Cleaner.

Boy Zone 20:23 12 Feb 11

already done all as suggested but still no good. Seems only option is a rebuild??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…