Slow boot up

athlete 00:31 22 Nov 09

Hi - my pc has for no obvious reason started to cause problems on boot up. I am getting a lot of hard disk activity and it takes about 15 minutes from the welcome screen until I can access my programs and internet. Once running, there does not appear to be any issues, other than a failure for a Windows automatic security update to install.

I am running a MESH XP Home Service Pack 3, Athlon 3800, 1gb RAM, 250GB hard disk (32gb free), and have recently reverted back to IE8 from Firefox. I also upgraded from AVG 8.5 to version 9 (about 2 weeks before I noticed the problem) and back to 8.5 to see if that was the issue. I have since uninstalled AVG and am relying on Microsoft Security Essentials. I regularly use CCleaner. I am confident that I do not have any malware. Help please.

User-1229748 06:21 22 Nov 09

you may find that it is because of the failing windows security update.have a look at your java console aswell,under advanced and then miscellaneous and untick java quick starter.also run this tool that will tell you what you need in the way of updatesclick here

birdface 11:51 22 Nov 09

[other than a failure for a Windows automatic security update to install.]
Try turning automatic updates off and see if that help.it could be Microsoft trying to install updates.
make sure that you don't have any of your security programs running scans at start up.Set them to run at a certain time or just run them manually when you want to run them.
Try task manager.Under processes see what program is using up most of the CPU.

birdface 11:56 22 Nov 09

[ I am confident that I do not have any malware.]

What Anti-Malware programs do you have installed.

Try search and type in AVG to make sure that you have managed to remove it completely.

chub_tor 12:21 22 Nov 09

With 32Gb free on a 250Gb hard drive you are getting close to only having 10% of your available capacity. You might want to check if there is some space that you can free up, perhaps decrease the space taken up by restore points, maybe reduce virtual memory. If you use CClenaer regularly you should not have a problem with temporary files so perhaps you could offload some of your little used video, music or picture files onto an external source.

chub_tor 12:22 22 Nov 09

ps. run a defrag if you haven't done so recently.

athlete 23:43 22 Nov 09

Thanks guys. I'll give these suggestions a try.

athlete 00:16 23 Nov 09

The following keeps failing (error code 0x643)-

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2 (KB953297)

I think this may be the culprit. Any suggestions?

User-1229748 05:37 23 Nov 09
  athlete 14:55 25 Nov 09

Hi Guys - thanks very much for the advice. I also noticed that MsMpEng.exe was hogging most of my CPU at start up. It would appear that I had a conflict between Windows Defender and Comodo. An uninstall of Comodo has done the trick. I still can't instal the Microsoft security update, so with my (extremely) limited PC skills, I'll try the fix recommended by smackheadz. Cheers all!

birdface 15:05 25 Nov 09

You could try Dial a Fix.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…