Slow boot up

stefan-194811 13:49 25 Sep 04

i have a problem with pc while booting up im running at 1900xp 512mb ram and boot up in bios usually took just seconds but now the memory test takes nearly 2 minutes and detecting ide drives takes about 3 minutes, i have a asus a7n8x m/b and i dont have the most up to date bios installed but have got latest drivers of asus website. but even o i never had this problem beforte it just happened afew days ago. i was going to do a clean reinstall but dont really want to, does anybody know what the problem is also just after its detected dvd drives and hard drive it briefly says something along the lines of 80 character.

stalion 14:11 25 Sep 04

What operating system if xp try a system restore to an earlier date

stefan-194811 14:43 25 Sep 04

o yeh sorry operating system is xp pro. already done system restore to a day earlier still the same so did it about a week earlier and its still the same. also when burning a dvd i usually burn at 8 speed and takes roughly 7-8 minutes but now its taking 10-11 minutes but ive just installed tiger woods 2005 and it installed at the usual speed.
how bizzare!

///A M G 14:54 25 Sep 04

Cant help with the bootup problems, but try these:

Delete Prefechts (C:/ Windows/Prefechts/delete the file with in the folder)

Windows clean up

hugh-265156 14:57 25 Sep 04

'memory test takes nearly 2 minutes'

look in your bios and enable 'fast boot' if the option is available maybe.

stefan-194811 17:39 25 Sep 04

Ha Haaaaaaaa tryed all of your suggestions above but still was doing it so then i took side of case of and pushed all cables back into there sockets and hey pressto its fine.Should of check that first really but i'd of thought if a ide cable had come loose then it would'nt have worked at all.
How bizzare!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…