slow boot

Stroller 22:34 08 Jan 04

I have a Asrock K7VM2 Mobo, AMD 1800 XP processor, 256 MB ram, running XP pro.
Suddenly boot up has been very slow, stalling on looking for boot from floppy, then stalling while looking for Hard drive boot.
A blank screen (black) will be seen for a long time, though there is disk activity.
Sometimes a series of bars (IIIIIIIII) across the bottom of the screen appears, which slowly beome solid. The Windows XP logo appears but 'fades in', it used to appear fast.

The PC then runs normally.
Sometimes it boots normally, but since two days ago this 'slow boot' happnes almost all the time.
I have run AVG, which is up-to-date, I have run Housecall, and I have defragged C drive.

I have swapped the IDE cables, and ensured they are fully inserted, changed the floppy drive to no avail.
No new programs have been added, nor has BIOS been altered. I have used System restore to go back to before the problems started.

any ideas gratefully accepted,

Stroller

woodchip 22:53 08 Jan 04

Go into BIOS when starting your computer and Auto Detect the Drives do not Set to AUTO as this slows boot time as it as to look for drive data each time it start

GYPSY 22:53 08 Jan 04

Hi stroller, i'm no expert but it may be worth downloading a beta version of something like norton utilities or some other utilities prog and run all the checks. another prog which helped me out recently when i had unexplained problems was Spybot "search and destroy"it's a free download and well worth a try.
Of course if it is a software conflict problem try a selective start up and i would suggest disabling the most recently installed software for starters. good luck

liveD Backwards 23:00 08 Jan 04

have you tried bootvis?

woodchip 23:00 08 Jan 04

It's slow before it even starts loading windows by what he say's

GYPSY 23:13 08 Jan 04

of course you are right, i must be too tired , ignore me. i'd best be off to bed zzzzzzz

plsndrs3 00:24 09 Jan 04

To set what is auto loading with Windows on Startup and deleting anything not needed?

woodchip 17:19 09 Jan 04

Watch my lips

plsndrs3 17:24 09 Jan 04

It's your lips I'm worried about - lol

[Sorry, guv. Didn't read your posting before ;o(]

woodchip 17:31 09 Jan 04

That's OK, I do it Sometime on purpose. At least it gets things moving

liveD Backwards 19:20 09 Jan 04

bootvis available from click here

p.s. stroller, check your mail!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…