S.L.O.W!

EmBeZzLeR 12:47 19 May 03

I've had enough of my computer! It has just become a slow moving piece of junk! Is ther any test i can do to see what the problem is or should i just format it because i'm sure that'll sort everything out!!!

Secordly, if i do format my C: drive, everything thing on the F: drive should be ok? (I know the answer to this question but i'm just making sure)

COMP SPEC:
P3 1GHZ
512 RAM

If you want/need to know anything else just let me know.

24seven 12:58 19 May 03

Yes, a format will clea out the the 'scraps' and junk fils. Yes the contents of your F: drive will be fine, you could always use this drive to back up anything off the C: drive you need to keep. It might be an idea to download all the latest drivers prior to format as the slowdown may be due to conflicts between the older ones.

_Treb_ 12:58 19 May 03

Check this site suggested by BarrieKeith click here

can we take it that you have been through all the usual defragmenting, clutter clearance and housekeeping tasks?

EmBeZzLeR 13:16 19 May 03

Yep... kinda... might need to defrag... even though i did not so long ago. I'll see what happens tonight, then i might format.

Telyob 11:26 20 May 03

Don't forget to do a virus check with the most up-to-date definitions you can get.

My system went slow recently and kept crashing due to a virus that was newer than my definitions!

Telyob

you might want to give it a good dusting inside as well, so that it can keep cool as this will help it to keep running smoothly.

professor 12:05 20 May 03

well to start with if you can get the latest BIOS for ur pc and flash it as a new BIOS will always improve your pcs performance and hardware compatability etc.

next up it to download all the latest drivers including the latest drivers for your motherboard chipset,if you have a battery that stores all the info for your CMOS\BIOS it may be worth removing that as clearing the chemical memory will also help it a lot.

also i would advise you backup anything you need to cd\rw and delete the partitions for both C:\ and F:\ as the problem could well be on F:\ but filtering through to C:\ or vice versa.

and finally when you do you harddisk (ooo err..)make sure that you have the format command on the bootdisk and dont use the standard command of FORMAT C: <-that command only cleans the surface of the disk and the data is still actually there to really get all the crap out of your harddisk type FORMAT C: /U <-that will do it properly.

prof

professor 12:09 20 May 03

for your chemical memory it varies in life after the battery id removed it can either take 10secs 10mins or 24hrs but the latter is almost never seen anymore so removing the battery for 10mins will almost certaily be enough time.

prof

EmBeZzLeR 18:21 20 May 03

It was a virus but there was little i could do once i reset to find out i couldn't get back in... luckly i backed up a few things before hand. I formatted and everything is running ok.

Thanks for the help y'all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant