slow

poshman31 19:19 13 Aug 07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,
microsoft xp home edition version 2002

packard bell celeron ( r ) cpu 2.60 ghz
2.59 ghz 192 mb of ram

broadband starter £ 15 per month
up to 2 meg speed and 2 gb usage allowance

right i aint got a clue what all those figures mean
all i know it takes 4 minutes from the time i press the on button to connect with the net and then it takes a further 3 mins to get a page up so thats 7 mins in total so my family are very impatient people so they wanna know why it takes so long

I have done as much as i know.. deleted temp internet files
ive done a defrag and these are the figures
vol size.. 33.25 gb
used space.. 25.15 gb
free space.. 8.10 gb
% free space .. 24 %

they also complain that it sometimes runs slow when connected
I have about 700 songs on itunes and 200 photos. would they slow the pc down Thanks in advance P M

skidzy 19:24 13 Aug 07

First thing is to upgrade your Ram to something like 512MB more if you can afford it.

Regarding your internet:

Run ccleaner click here
Run Winaso click here (trial) but unlimited,will scan and repair 10 errors at any one time.

Run a few antispyware scans,some advice here click here

Totally-braindead 19:24 13 Aug 07

The reason for all round general slowness of the PC is down to, at least in part, the amount of RAM, 192mb is quite low for XP, it will run on it but if you added another 256mb for example it would make a big difference.
Also see whats running at startup
goto RUN and type MSCONFIG and the last tab on the window is things that load at startup, I'm willing to bet theres a lot of programs listed there you don't need to run all the time. Only disable things you can clearly identify and don't disable your anti virus.
Also download and run Ccleaner and let it clear out a lot of the rubbish.

Totally-braindead 19:27 13 Aug 07

skidzy beat me to it. Forgot the internet speed. From what you say thats very slow on a 2 meg connection. Try running a speedtest and see what it says you are getting click here or click here

Technotiger 19:31 13 Aug 07

You need more RAM, 192mb is rather low by todays standards. Run the on-line check at click here
this will tell you how much your computer can take and what type it needs.

Also run CCleaner click here this will clear up a lot of rubbish from you computer.

Internet speeds can vary quite a lot depending on time of day or night, sometimes gets very busy.

Technotiger 19:32 13 Aug 07

I must learn to type faster!

skidzy 19:32 13 Aug 07

You did have more to type TB :-)

Sound advice from TB regarding MSCONFIG Poshman.

Also check in add and remove programs for any redundant programs and remove these and run ccleaner again.

Though your drive has 24% free,its getting a bit tight.The drive will have to work that much harder to sort the applications upon boot up.

Freeing up some space may help you a bit.

Technotiger 19:33 13 Aug 07

At least we all said more or less the same things :-))

woodchip 19:35 13 Aug 07

Get all your files of the comp. Onto a external USB2 drive

woodchip 19:36 13 Aug 07

Also get more memory, min 512Mb

Totally-braindead 19:40 13 Aug 07

Be careful about MSCONFIG, note down what you untick so you can retick it if it causes a problem, just in case you untick the wrong thing.

In the worse case scenario you could disable something windows needs to have in order to run. Now don't panic this is not as bad as it sounds, as long as you know what you have unticked you can restart in safe mode and retick the box and then restart normally. But please do note down what you untick so that you can retick it if it causes a problem. And only untick something you recognise. Most are fairly obvious.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…