Slot A Athlon upgrade

stevedunham 22:45 03 Feb 03

I have a pc with a MSI MS-6316 Micro ATX IR3 mainboard with AMD-750 chipset, running a single
Slot A 600mhz Athlon processor. The mainboard has onboard Creative ES1373 PCI audio, onboard nVIDIA TNT2 video and 128mb SDRAM. Does any one have any idea if I can upgrade the CPU, if so, to how fast.
I did hear that Slot A athlons are impossible to find, if so, does anyone do a conversion to socket A or is it new main board time.

tbh72 02:23 04 Feb 03

I have just bought a 2000+XP as my 850 died. It sits on a pcchips 810LR-h. The processor will only run at the slower speed of 1.25Ghz unless I go through the painstaking task of flashing bios.

click here

The above company have slot A at very good prices, I have never ordered from them but they get excellent reviews on these boards, But then with delivery @ £7.00 the service should be nothing less than excellent.

dth 09:42 04 Feb 03

Have a look at the MSI website

click here

Spook Tooth 10:55 04 Feb 03

Is this any good? click here

Might know better - I'd suggest getting a new socket a motherboard or whatever you like (Intel is an option).

Did a search of your mobo details, in google. I'd go to AMD site, click here, to find out the availability etc of slot a athlon type. On upgrading, it all depends on what you envisage on using your PC for, it may be that your present set up is ideal for your usage, if you're only accessing internet, and using comp for office apps.

I did search for those chips one time, and they were a very rare find. You can get excellent value these days with purchasing say, an Athlon XP 1700+ and motherboards are generally quite inexpensive - well, they start from decent prices. A good graphics card may improve things, if games are your thing.

One place I often use click here and they sometimes have special offers on the 'Today Only' page. If you want the best, click here (think it's com), do highest rated Athlon for considerably less than Scan.

Spook Tooth 10:56 04 Feb 03

No it's co.uk: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…