sloooowly does it

my pc seems to be getting slower and slower to load progs or shut them down. I have xp pro and am only using about half of my 40gb hd. I have used system mec. to defrag but when it gets near the end it says:- out of memory. Is this significant to the problem?

I would welcome any suggestions.
golpher.

hugh-265156 08:36 24 May 04

how much physical memory do you have?

click start/control panel/system/general to find out if you dont know.if any less than 256mb add some more.

check that the paging file is set to "system managed size" in control panel/system/advanced/performance/settings/advanced/virtual memory/change

set as above and click set then apply and restart.

try running defrag in safe mode(tap F8 or F5 when the computer is switched on and select it from the list)or make sure there are no other programs running or showing in the tray when you run defrag.

run the disk cleanup tool also and update and run your antivirus and maybe also run a check for and remove any spyware as this could slow things down.

hi-fi 08:56 24 May 04

Your pc probably has spyware on it. Run spybot and checkout the results, you will be suprised!

Thanks guys. Running defrag and using Spybot has done the trick.
Golpher.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…