Slight problems posting replies.........

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:58 02 May 03

When I try to reply to threads I get a 404 error and the words of wisdom disappear into the ether. I also notice that underneath the reply section there is the following....'value="GANDALF |:-)>" name=author>'. If these words appear then I get a 404 error, if they are not there I can post. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what the problem is?

G

spikeychris 15:03 02 May 03

Maybe you ought to take the hint.... :o)

Chris

Legolas 15:03 02 May 03

I also have had this Gandalf and after spending time typing "slowly" an answer to a thread it is VERY annoying. As to the cause or subsequent resolution of the problem I,m sorry I cant help there.

Sir Radfordin™ 15:06 02 May 03

Copy yout post to the clip board before you post and you needen't worry.

Mango Grummit 15:15 02 May 03

Bad reception at Railway Cutting?

-pops- 15:19 02 May 03

After so many posts disappearing into the ether, I've taken the precaution of always copying to clipboard whenever I make a post here.

Interesting about 'value="GANDALF |:-)>" name=author>' mentioned. I'll check that next time I get pushed out.

Brian

First attempt got an Error but it wasn't a 404. Try again.

fly2hi 20:27 02 May 03

Yes, I get it too. Which is not very often but still about 50% of the time. I've always written posts in Notespad and pasted into post box, unless its only a few words, which is also about 50% of the time.

woodchip 20:41 02 May 03

Had nothing but problems yesterday and today removed Networking and reloaded removed Account and recreated it, it's just as if my modem as been going to sleep. Is it the site

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:14 02 May 03

You are officially my Nemesis. ;-)))))

As others seem to have had the problem I can assume that it is not my computer.

ps I always right-click copy the text just in case....forewarned is forearmed as they say.

G

spikeychris 22:20 02 May 03

:o)

Forum Editor 23:56 02 May 03

but I don't think I can be of much help. The server will return the 404 error page if it has a problem with the request from your browser, and more often than not it does this if it's dealing with a lot of requests at the same time.

As you know, when you post a response the server has to go to the database, retrieve the thread and all its other responses (if any), put your response into the database and load everything into a page to send to you. Sometimes this procedure hangs, and you get the 404.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…