slides

Hacky 20:38 10 Mar 04

Can anyone please tell me how to transfer my photo slides to my pc , running XP. cheers all

spanneress 20:40 10 Mar 04

There was a thread on this last night. The Epson Perfection 1670 scanner will do the job extremely well for around £70...

Hacky 08:19 11 Mar 04

Thanks spanneress for your assistance on slides , but i have just brought a new scanner a Cannon lide 30, so not a good idea to buy another one. I have tried it out but all i get is a small copy of the slide and always very dark. is there any other way to get slides onto my pc with some kind of program. or any other means thanks for your help so far.

Gongoozler 08:26 11 Mar 04

Hi Hacky. This isn't a job for software, what you need is a device to reflect the light back into the slide. Most scanners are designed to reflect the light off the surface of the picture. A slide is intended to give an image from transmitted light. To get a useful large image you need to scan at the highest resolution available. 1200 dpi will give you an image about 1200 x 1800 pixels, or about 22.1mP in digital camera terms, which isn't bad for most purposes.

Gongoozler 08:28 11 Mar 04

This is the sort of thing you need click here

Gongoozler 09:29 11 Mar 04

Sorry, I just spotted a silly error in my first posting. 1200 x 1800 pixels is about 2.1MP. I blame the sticky 2 key on this old keyboard I'm having to use today.

Sheila-214876 11:32 11 Mar 04

I tried the DIY adapter (from Gongoozler link) some time ago and found it was absolutely awful. I went to Jessops and bought a dedicated Primefilm Scanner 1800U £129 (just checked and it is now £99.90) at click here Good results everytime.

fazer 12:52 11 Mar 04

Should you have a camera that allows attachments to the lens, a far cheaper and easier method would be for you to re-photograph the slides using the appropriate equipment that holds the slides against the lens barrel.

If you have a digital camera then it will be easy to get the results onto the computer; if you have and ordinary camera, then pop the film into Boots, get the photo's onto Cd, and then load onto the computer.

I'm afraid I've no idea how much the slide holder is but its a lot less than having to buy scanners or software! Try Jessops.

stlucia 13:03 11 Mar 04

I don't know what Gongoozler's link was because the network at my work place won't allow access to it ("Personal web sites filtered").

However I have an Epson 1240 scanner with slide and film adapter, which does an excellent job so far as I'm concerned. But there are two points I've noticed about it, which might not be replicated if you buy a third-party or home-made light box to place on the flatbed of your scanner:-

1. The scanner changes its focus slightly when the slide viewer is switched on and selected by the software, to account for the fact that the mounted slide, or unmounted film strip in the Epson film holder, is not actually touching the flatbed glass.

2. There is an area of the slide adapter through which the top light shines direct onto the flatbed, with a warning that it's not to be covered up: I presume this allows the scanner software to check the colour temperature of the "raw" light source so that scans will come out more accurately.

Gongoozler 14:26 11 Mar 04

My suggestion to look at the abstractconcreteworks.com web site wasn't intended to imply that I recommended the device described on that site, but rather to illustrate what sort of thing is needed to allow a conventional flatbed scanner to scan slides. I have no doubt at all that a dedicated slide scanner is the best way to get digital pictures from a slide.

A problem that will always be encountered with any method of photographing slides, whether electronic or photographic, is that the slides use the characteristics of the eye to represent an infinite number of colours using only 3 colours of dye. Unless the colour responses of the imaging device exactly match those of the dyes in slide, there will always be a loss of image quality.

Sheila-214876 16:27 11 Mar 04

Gongoozler. I didn't intend to knock you down but I did try that option and, like I said it was awful. Another option of course, is to go to somewhere like Coe digital who will put all your slides/negatives on to CD for you at a good price, (depending on how many you have). I use them quite often because they are a local shop to me. Hacky, there must be some photographic shops local to you who can offer the same service. Jessops and Boots also offer this service. Coe Digital can be found at click here Jessops can be found at click here and Boots can be found at click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…