Slide Photo's

R.C.M. 18:03 15 Jun 06

In the old day's I used to keep all my photo's on slides. Now that I'm sort of catching up with all this technological wizardry I was wondering - Is there a device or program out there that I can buy which can copy the photos off the slides onto my computer so that I can burn them onto C.D?

Any advice or suggestions please?

pj123 20:08 15 Jun 06

Depending on how many you have, you could try:

click here

Alternatively, you would need to buy a film/slide scanner and go from there.

I have an Epson Perfection 3170 Photo scanner which scans Negatives/Transparencies and Photos.

Overtaken now by the 3490: click here

johndrew 20:14 15 Jun 06

The only way that I`m aware of is to buy a scanner with a slide attachment and scan them in. You would need to use a scanner for `ordinary` photos as well.

As for software to catalogue/album them, there are many; one of the best free ones is The Gimp click here but some people find it a bit difficult. However as it`s free it must be worth a look.

You could also have a look at the `Downloads` on this site to see if there is anything that may suit. Failing that have a look in `Reviews` or back issues of PCA (if you have any). You could also go to Dabs click here or Amazon click here to see if they have anything.

Hope this helps. I`m doing my video and haven`t started on my slides and photos yet!!!!!

R.C.M. 21:18 15 Jun 06

Thanks for the replies - I have an ordinary flat bed scanner - can that copy slides?? Or am I being really stupid, and need to buy a "special" scanner which does photos and slides.

I'm under the impression by your post and your links, that I will need to buy the "special"

Thanks for the tips - I will read up on the articles now - cheers

rmcqua 09:38 16 Jun 06

I have done what you are looking to do, with great success, with a collection of about 500 family slides. I used a relatively cheap Epson flat bed scanner, with built in slide adapter. The slide adapter is the only prerequisite.
The Epson Perfection 3590 Photo looks ideal for the job and can currently be bought for about £70. The other major scanner manufacturers all have similar suitable models.
Good luck. I found it a very rewarding exercise.

johndrew 11:56 16 Jun 06

You may be able to get a slide adaptor for your exisying scanner; it depends on model, age and the manufacturer. Provided you are happy with the resolution provided by the scanner when you do scan slides there should (with luck) be no need to buy another.

If you find you must buy then again there are reviews and as rmcqua says the Epson Perfection 3590 is as good as any.

johndrew 16:18 16 Jun 06

Just got the latest PCA (August 2006/133) today. Have you seen the Dnaml phota album on the DVD? It`s a full version and may suit your needs.

pj123 17:04 16 Jun 06

I also have a dedicated film/slide scanner. The Primefilm 1800U. Been pretty good in the past but since getting the Epson 3170 which does all I haven't used it recently.

Just had a look on ebay to see what sort of prices are being bid in case I might want to sell it on myself.

click here

pj123 17:12 16 Jun 06

The Epson 3490 is £70 at Jessops and the 3590 is £100 at Jessops. Both do the same job.

click here

Bingalau 14:21 19 Jun 06

Also keep an eye out at "Aldi" or/and "Lidl" as they regularly get stocks of this type of thing in. I bought my "Tevion" scanner with slide adapter a lot cheaper in Aldi than elsewhere. ..Bingalau..

griffon 56 15:09 19 Jun 06

Agree with all before, especially the recommendations for the Epson scanner. Would advise not to go for a dedicated film scanner, a fairly recent article comparing them with flatbed scanner attachments didn't find a significant difference unless you were prepared to pay about 3 or 4 times the cost of a flatbed.

I've used the Epson 1670 for some 38 year old, quite badly corroded slides and it produced good results which were cleaned up in Adobe Photo de Luxe Business Edition 1.1. Adobe Photoshop Elements seems to be the pundits' choice but this is about £70. I don't how good The Gimp is at processing but as far as I can judge from reports, most of the free software isn't very good at the kind of thing you might have to do like correcting area colour at very high resolutions with a cloning tool, or getting rid of mildew, crazing and scratches. Let us know how you get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…