Slide & film scanner recommendations?

stlucia 11:13 20 May 09

I'm thinking to buy a dedicated slide and film scanner. For the past few years I've been using an adapter on my Epson scanner, but I've always had in the back of my mind that a Minolta Dimage scanner would be nice to have.

I've just done a bit of Google browsing, and it seems that Minolta are currently upgrading to version IV, and it and version III are out of stock or not yet in stock :-(

The next most-advertised one seems to be Plustek, like this one click here Any feedback about how it compares with Minolta would be appreciated, or any other suggestions in the same quality/price band.

stlucia 19:41 21 May 09

Anybody using one of these, or any other, film scanners?

jack 20:19 21 May 09

dedicated film scanning,
But there are others by the regular makers.
The only provision in my opinion - is to avoid the Ion devices so often seen in the Reader Bargains pages of the popular press
I have several reports of these and they don't quite cut the mustard if its quality you are after.
But I guess it is what you ultimate use for the device will be.
If it is for family use small size printing - slide shows then one of the others may well serve.Indeed the current range of Epson/Canon ewtc.,m with the 'light in the lid' do a pretty good job
I make many slide shows for my self and other and my Epson Perfection 2400 is pretty old hat by to days standard.

Stuartli 20:38 21 May 09

Nikon also have an excellent reputation in this field.

Usually you could rely on Morgan Computers to have a stock of film scanners, but they don't seem to have had any for some time.

Another possibility:

click here

stlucia 08:02 22 May 09

I should have said, I want the scanner to archive my 35mm slides, and some negatives, which go back to the early 1960s, before they deteriorate. I've been using my Epson flatbed scanner with attachment, but it's fiddly and not giving very sharp focus.

Viewing them on a TV or PC screen will be the primary aim, though printing to up to A4 size would be nice, so resolution needs to be appropriate for that. I also like the idea of built-in dust removal (a fan, presumably?), software that can reduce the visibility of damage like scratches, and the ability to optimise the focus.

jack 08:13 22 May 09

Look at click here

The V350-V4490-V750-V700

Ventad 10:05 22 May 09

I used the Epson V300 for my 1960's slides, does four at a time takes about 5 minutes over the four. You can then enhance any that have perhaps faded etc.with the software included. Only the really dark ones did not come out as can be expected. I was very pleased with the out come. As Jack says there are more variations and more expensive models than mine.

jack 11:11 22 May 09

One of my flocking having in the past got me to scan some of his slides- decided to invest in a slide scanner[I know not which]- and then came on to me that the machine scanned OK but nothing happened at the computer end.
After much discussion - it turned out that when he activated the scanner he was expecting to see the images appear immediately.
I had to explain that even with his 1GB memory Machine running Paintshop- it still takes a bit of time to process what could be a 40/50 megabyte image, the more so if as ventad said they are being scanned in groups of four.

stlucia 12:17 22 May 09

jack and ventad, those Epson scanners look very nice, but an Epson flatbed with adapter is what I'm using at the moment (1240U) and I'm not very impressed with the quality. That's why I was thinking of a dedicated film scanner.

How do the Epsons deal with out-of-focus which can be caused by different slide mount thicknesses, for instance? Also, I see that their Digital ICE scratch-removing software does not support B&W or Kodachrome films -- maybe that's true with other scanners, I'll need to watch out for that.

But maybe the 4490 is worth getting as a replacement for my present one, or maybe even the V500, and see if I still think I need a dedicated film scanner.

jack 19:55 22 May 09

for dust and other imperfection will always be
-er - imperfect.
Use it by allmeans where it exists but nothing can beat individual treatment by way of one of the many packages out there.
I use Corel PaaintShop[A clone of Photoshop but a fraction of the price

stlucia 11:09 23 May 09

What kind of "many packages out there" were you thinking of, jack?

I've Googled film cleaning and get many hits on different kinds of chemicals for cleaning movie films, but they don't seem to be for slides, which are usually cardboard-mounted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…