Slide copiers

My father has a large number of 35mm photographic slides which I was considering converting to digital.

Any advice on suitable products would be appreciated.

Nontek 21:03 10 Oct 10

Most modern Scanners, like the Epson Perfection 3490 among others, have this capability.

onionskin 22:00 10 Oct 10

Aldi are doing one at £39.99 from this Thur 14 Oct.
It's USB2, 5 megapixels, 1800dpi resolution.

looks as good as any, at nearly half the price.

There's also an 8Gb USB memory stick at £11.99, I may pay a visit myself.

northumbria61 22:05 10 Oct 10

I have a Canon Canoscan 8600F about 3 yrs old now with 35mm slide attachment (does 4 at once) and I have copied hundreds with excellent results. There are newer models to this and other makes will do a similar job.

There are also "standalone" copiers which like the scanners do 35mm and negatives.

Selection here at Jessops but you will find same/similar at Amazon which may be cheaper.
click here

northumbria61 22:09 10 Oct 10

This is the one that onionskin is referring to and there's a video to watch - click here

robin_x 23:13 10 Oct 10

Make sure your backup strategy is sound.
ie you copy the Slide folders to DVD and/or ext HDD.
And keep them on the main drive.

It's one thing to reinstall an operating system, quite another for large numbers of important scans.

Fascinating project I bet. Have fun.

peter99co 23:13 10 Oct 10

I use an Epson V 200 Scanner and do 4 slides per Scan. It will also scan 35 mm film negative at 4 or 5 per scan. A4 is easily scanned along with the usual photographs, postcards and forms, etc.

Ian in Northampton 09:27 11 Oct 10

I used an HP4850. Interestingly, as a multifunction device - and not an expensive one - it did a far better job than using the £80 dedicated 35mm slide converter that my wife bought me (and that I returned). The process is a long and tedious one (so much manual intervention...) and, in my experience, it works well for a) creating images to view on screen, and b) creating a digital archive of precious memories. However, no way are the resulting scanned images good enough to print above postcard size, what with specks of dust that you can't see on the slide suddenly appearing much larger and inevitable loss of sharpness and original colour fidelity. I'd still wholly recommend doing it, though.

Ian in Northampton 09:29 11 Oct 10

Oh, and just to reiterate robinofloxley's point. Backup is absolutely essential, especially if you're planning to ditch the slides afterwards (which reminds me: anyone want 20 slide carousels? LOL...) My image folders are backed up to two external hard drives, one of which is kept nowhere near the computer.

john bunyan 09:41 11 Oct 10

Regrettably some of the cheaper ones do not have enough optical resolution. I have Canonscan 8800f , which does a good job with flatbed, and 35mm slides and negs.
There is a slightly newer version out.

Muergo 12:37 11 Oct 10

I have a Canonscan 2400U which is vital for me as I have hundreds of large format slides 6x6 or 21/4sq" and I cannot find a driver to work with Windows7

If anyone can help I would be very grateful, otherwise have to splash out on a new one which for this size is very expensive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…