SLI Upgrade Possibility

Giddygum 00:50 30 Jan 05

Looking to purchase a new system with AMD 64 4000+ processor, 300 GB Hard drive 16 mb buffer plus two 6800 GT graphics cards in an SLI configuration.

According to the review, even this processor 'struggled' to keep up.

Would the AMD 64 FX55 resolve the problem (an upgrade is available for £100 - £350) ?

There is also the opportunity to upgrade the cards for two 6800 Ultra version (at a cost of £300).

Would the FX55 be able to cope in this set up and would the cards be stable enough ?

Finally, despite the advertising stating otherwise, the manufacturer has changed the hard drive from a Maxtor Diamondmax 10 to that of a Western Digital Caviar.

Have I lost out by this 'manufacturing decision'

temp003 10:02 30 Jan 05

According to this article click here== both the 6800 ultra and 6800 gt are hit by CPU limitation, even the FX-55.

I can't find any comparison between the FX55 and 4000+ in terms of SLI performance. There is a clock difference of 200MHz. That will give you an increase in performance. No idea how much.

In terms of value for money with currently available CPUs, the article suggests the GT is better value.

If it's between a 4000+ combined with 6800 ultra, and FX-55 combined with 6800 GT, I suspect the latter is a better combo.

On the hard disk, I assume we are talking about SATA? If so, the Maxtor has 16MB buffer plus NCQ (which I assume your motherboard supports). The WD has 8MB buffer (its website claims that its performance matches most 16MB buffer hdds on the market), and no NCQ. I suspect the Maxtor would be a better performer, but simply on the stated specs. Don't know what the actual performance difference is.

Stuartli 10:55 30 Jan 05

I'd look forward to that at my age - they are my initials...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…