SLI GTX 260's

morphiushell 12:26 31 Jul 09

Hi,

My current setup is:

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6700 2.66GHz
8GB RAM
9800 GT Graphics Card

I currently havea 700watt power supply.

I was wanting to purchase (2) Asus GeForce GTX 260 TOP 896MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card then SLI them.

1st - I am not sure if my current power supply will take this.

2nd - Where would I get the SLI coonnector to SLI the cards.

3rd - Do you think I should just get one to start with then possibly move on to two if and when needed.

Thanks
Allan

I am Spartacus 13:42 31 Jul 09

A quick google suggests each card uses 136W (11A) and each card requires 2 x 6 pin power connectors.

If Nvidia are like ATI then the SLI connectors will be in the box.

I would get 1 and see what that's like first. Unless you run a high resolution 1 might be enough but it depends on the games you play. 2 cards would be good for folding@home though.

citadel 19:50 31 Jul 09

dx11 cards in 7 weeks, even if you don't want to upgrade the old cards may have a price drop.

GaT7 20:25 31 Jul 09

What motherboard do you have? Does it have the requisite 2x x16 SLI slots?

What make & model is your PSU? If it's a generic-type PSU, without the necessary 4x dedicated PCI-E connectors, you'll need to look at getting a PSU too. I wouldn't be risking £260 worth of hardware on a possibly under-powered, no-name PSU.

"I would get 1 and see what that's like first. Unless you run a high resolution 1 might be enough but it depends on the games you play." - I completely agree with that. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced